Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Miracle Baby

On June 10th I went to the doctor for my normal 38 week checkup. It turns out I had VERY high blood pressure which I didn't have at all throughout the pregnancy. I also had a lot of protein in my urine. All indicators of a problem. My Dr. decided I must go into the hospital that night to be induced. She said my blood pressure was so high I could have a stroke!
So later that night I checked in around 10 pm. After everything, they started to induce me at 2 am. By 5 am I starting getting strong contractions and by 6 it was so bad I decided to get an epidural. They also suggested it because by then my blood pressure was even more high.
By 7 am I got the epidural and it was kicking in and thankfully my blood pressure was lowering. At 710 I was 6 cm dilated. Within 15 minutes I was fully dilated and she was ready to come!
Literally after 4 pushes she was delivered!
But then something was wrong. Everyone was in a rush with the baby. It turns out the umbilical cord was tightly wrapped 4 times around her neck, 1 time around her shoulder and had 2 knots in it!
She was blue and not moving when born. They quickly cut the cord and was able to revive her. Then I heard her first cry and knew she was fine.
The doctors told me they never saw anything like it before. Never that many knots and wraps around the neck without the baby surviving!
So you can imagine it was all very emotional.
The doctors kept saying "That's one lucky baby!"
Alenka means lucky in polish! Her middle name is Milena which means miracle.
It truly is the perfect name because she is one lucky miracle baby!
She was 5 lbs and 18 inches long and born at 735 am on June 11th. A perfect baby girl!
She is doing excellent and I am relieved it all went well otherwise.
Also, my son adores her which is such a relief as well because I didn't know how he would take to her. :)

1 comment:

Sinclair said...

They are beautiful! Congratulations, and I am so glad she is healthy.