Monday, August 17, 2009

Dragonfruit



So the other day I was at the store and bought a Dragonfruit. I had seen them before but never purchased them. Something just compelled me this time and I am so glad I did.
I let it sit a few days and when it seemed perfectly ripe, I decided today was the day I would try it. So I went online to find some information on the proper way to cut and eat it since it was so new and exotic to me.

"Dragon fruit is a beautiful fruit grown in Southeast Asia, Mexico, Central and South America, and Israel. It is actually the fruit of a type of cactus, and the fruit comes in 3 colors: 2 have pink skin, but with different colored flesh (one white, the other red), while another type is yellow with white flesh. Dragon fruit is low in calories and offers numerous nutrients, including Vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, plus fiber and antioxidants.

Dragon fruit tastes wonderful! - sweet and crunchy, with a flavor that's like a cross between kiwi and pear."

Wow! I was so excited to try it! So I followed the directions and was able to easily cut it in half. Scooping it out was so easy and it reminded me of scooping an avocado where it perfectly comes out of the skin.
I sliced and cubed then served. It was delicious! It definitely is similar in taste to a kiwi especially with the edible black seeds. It also had slight undertones of melon. A perfect refreshing fruit for a hot summer day!
My son loves kiwi, but unfortunately refused to try this. I hope I can convince him because he is sure missing out!

It was a fun treat and a new experience to eat this bespeckled seeded fruit! If you haven't tried it yet, it's something I definitely recommend!

2 comments:

Hyla said...

Wow!Thanks i am totally going to try this!

*Stephanie* said...

Awesome! Let me know if you like it! ;)